In this guide, I share with you why and how you can create an online course or program in a topic of your expertise so you can make more money and serve the people who need you most without burning out or sacrificing family time.
It’s late 2020 and the world is in shambles.
Lock-downs, lay-offs, business closures …
As of July 2020, 53% of adults in the United States reported that their mental health has been negatively impacted due to worry and stress over the coronavirus. (source: kff)
Poor mental health has negative consequences on most areas of life.
People need help
Help with their mental health, their physical health, career guidance, relationship support … the list goes on and on. We all need help more than ever to be able to not only survive but thrive in this pandemic.
If you’re a therapist, career coach, mindset coach, health and wellness coach, or one of the other experts who has seen an increase in demand resulting from the pandemic, you may be feeling frustrated or overwhelmed.
😪 You may be trying to serve that increase – cutting into family and self-care time and risking burning out.
😪 Or you’re sitting on the sidelines – unsure how to serve more without sacrificing your own sanity and mental health.
I don’t have to tell you that serving from an empty cup just doesn’t work.
Sure, you may be able to do it for a few weeks or months.
But the inevitable always happens.
The burnout and over-giving will bring you to the ground – leaving you unable to show up for life or business at the capacity you know you’re capable of.
You may already be noticing yourself falling out of love with your business and the resentment creeping in.
It starts off as a gentle whisper that grows stronger and more pressing until one day, you wake up and wonder where did that business you love go?
You started this business to serve your clients and to create a life of comfort for yourself and your family.
You didn’t plan to have to hustle and grind to earn the income you know your experience and expertise is worth.
There is a better way
In your current business model, you likely work with people live. It may be virtually these days, but the conversations with your clients are still happening in real-time.
Meaning that you’re using your time to serve them. Whether in groups or one-on-one, your time is being used up in these encounters.
Add to that prep, reports, inefficient processes, and lack of systems and repeatability, you may be spending a LOT of your precious time on every client.
Time is your one truly limited resource.
We can always make more money, but we can never get our time back.
Just like the grains of sand inside of an hourglass drop – it’s a one-way journey to depletion.
So what’s the solution to serving more clients and making more money without burning out or sacrificing family time?
There are several ways to scale your business which I outline in the Ultimate Guide to Scaling Your Business.
And right now – mid-pandemic – creating a Hybrid Online Course in a topic of their passion and expertise is the model getting my clients amazing results.
You can learn more about it in this quick video, but in a nutshell – it’s a course or program that combines digital modules of things you say over and over with support from you.
I provide the exact steps for creating your online course or program below.
In this model, you get to effectively clone yourself while delivering a transformative and high-quality experience for your clients.
While some of your time is still required – it is the best way to combine efficiency with the quality of results.
As an expert who has created amazing results for your clients, you likely aren’t willing to give up the quality of results to scale faster.
If that’s you, then the Hybrid Online Course is likely the perfect next-step plan for your business.
Adding a Hybrid Online Course to your suite of offerings will allow you to:
- Keep up with the growing demand for your services and increase your income without sacrificing time with your family.
- Serve more clients without capping your income or burning out.
- Disconnect your earning potential from how many hours you’re willing to work
- Create amazing results for clients while making more money than you thought was possible for you before.
- Earn an ADDITIONAL $10k-$30k (or more!) of income per month within 90 days of starting the creation process.
- Install an easier sales and marketing process, attracting and enrolling only perfect-fit clients who love working with you and get amazing results.
- Fall back in love with your business! Having a scalable, repeatable, easy to sell and deliver services is a great way to run your business.
- Set your business up now in a way that will allow you to take that long family vacation once travel restrictions are lifted.
- Reclaim your time so you can stop having to decide between working to support your family and spending quality time with them.
- Capture a percentage of the growing eLearning market. According to market research firm Global Industry Analysts, the online education industry is predicted to grow to $370 billion by 2026. (Source: foundr.com).
I know that many people who read this list and get excited about the possibilities may initially think that something so powerful and life-changing must be very time- and energy-consuming to put in place.
And it can be.
I’ve seen people fiddle around with their courses for months and sometimes years.
Yesterday, I spoke to a woman who launched her course six (SIX 😲) years after starting.
This does NOT have to be you.
While it can take that long for some, it absolutely doesn’t have to!
So how long does it REALLY take to create an online course?
Clients in our Thriving Online Program Accelerator create and sell their programs in 90 days – adding that $10k to $30k of ADDITIONAL income in just three months.
All while working with their full roster of clients and showing up for family and personal obligations.
As you may rightly guess – some sacrifice of time is required during that time but our program is set up to use as LITTLE of your time as possible.
I know how valuable your time is and I designed the process to be as efficient as possible.
Efficiency is one of my top values and if you’re still reading – is it one of yours too? If so this is totally the model for you 😁
The Thriving Online Program Accelerator is delivered as a Hybrid Online Course – 7 powerful digital modules that walk you step-by-step down the process of creating and selling your perfect-fit program to your dream clients, combined with support from me.
If you become a client, not only will you get to receive the powerful results that this kind of model can create – but you will also get to see it in action – providing great ideas for your own implementation of it.
The second question I get from experts who are considering creating an online course or program is how will they sell it to make the income they know they deserve.
If you build it will they come?
Well, not quite, this isn’t Field of Dreams 😏
Many of the experts who come to me don’t love sales or aren’t yet good at sales.
Many of their clients come through referrals and because they were only able to serve a limited number of clients at a time, once their practice filled up, not much marketing was required to stay full. Especially for the good ones whose past clients referred a steady stream of new clients.
So to grow your business in this scalable way, you will likely need to sharpen your sales and marketing skills a bit.
If you become a client, that’s an area we will support you in.
You will learn how to attract, nurture, and enroll your perfect-fit clients in a way that FEELS good and doesn’t take up too much of your time (there’s that efficiency again).
How to price online courses is a topic that I cover in-depth in my program but the Hybrid Online Courses that my clients create typically sell for $2,500 and above so you can see that getting to that $10k to $30k in extra income does not require hundreds or even dozens of new clients.
Just a handful – and I show you EXACTLY how to do that in the program but I’ll give you a sneak peek here of WHY it’s a more effortless process than what you’re likely doing now.
When you’re selling a well-designed and thoughtful program, you have a very specific and succinct message that your perfect-fit client will be immediately drawn to.
If you do go through my program, in the first couple of weeks, you will implement our Dream Clients, Revealed process where you will not only learn the exact words they use to talk about the problem that your course will solve for them, but you will also create a list of potential clients who will be anxiously waiting for your course to launch with credit card in hand.
Most of my clients get a 3x – 10x return on their investment with me on their very first launch (and because what they built is a sustainable, long-term asset, that return multiplies very, very quickly)
So with the time commitment and client acquisition conversation out of the way, I hope that you’re now as excited and optimistic about this model’s potential for you and your business as I am!
What are the steps for creating your online course or program?
Here are the steps for creating your online course or program:
- Create a vision for your life and business. Get super clear on what you want your business to do FOR you, your life and your family. Not only will it keep you going in the right direction, but it will also help you stay committed when the busyness of everyday life and unforeseen circumstances try to throw you off track.
- Pick the perfect-fit topic for your course or program. As an expert – you may have a wide breadth of expertise which can make teasing out the perfect topic feel overwhelming. Here’s an important key to keep in mind: A profitable online course solves ONE pressing problem for ONE ideal client avatar. If you’re feeling overwhelmed or unclear, grab my Profitable Course Topic Cheat Sheet HERE which will enable you to pick your perfect-fit topic in under 20 minutes.
- Identify your perfect-fit client and define the problem your course will solve for them (see tip in #2 above).
- Craft the step-by-step journey that you will take your clients on to get them the results.
- Define and implement systems, processes, support protocol, and pricing tiers.
- Create the portion of your course that you want to have ready by launch date. I recommend at MINIMUM the onboarding module + module one be complete with the rest of the modules clearly laid out.
- Attract, nurture, and enroll your perfect-fit clients into your shiny new course and watch your bank account grow as you effortlessly serve these clients to better results than you ever thought possible while using less of your precious time.
- Rinse, repeat, and scale!
It’s not a complicated process but it is one that requires thoughtfulness and strategic thinking to make sure that you create something that is both profitable for both the short-term and long-term for you and creates powerful results for your clients.
If this is a model that resonates with you and you’d love to earn more about how to get my support on your journey you can grab a time on my calendar by clicking HERE. In that call, we will discuss your current business and your goals and dreams, and I will provide you with tangible next steps that you’ll be able to implement as soon as you hang up the phone (or click ‘leave’ on your zoom platform 🙃)
If you’re not ready for a call but would like to be supported and be in a community of passionate and skilled experts who are building businesses of their dreams – I’d love to see you in The Genius Tribe Facebook Group!
I’m there often so it’s a great place for us to connect on a deeper level!
To your success!