So you’ve been thinking about creating a premium or high-ticket online program, online course, or a paid membership community.
You’re excited, and maybe even a little nervous too!
But you haven’t made much progress.
Procrastination has many faces. Some people are more prone to procrastinate than others. For example, some people have trouble getting started while others struggle to finish things.
But before we get into the nitty-gritty of why you may be procrastinating and how to bust through that, let’s talk about why you may want to create online courses or programs in the first place.
There are three main reasons to create a successful online coaching or training program:
1. You know your work makes a difference.
This is your way to get it out to more people without working more hours or sacrificing client results. By effectivelly cloning yourself for anything you say over and over again you can work with many more clients in the same amount of time and decide how much premium (individual or group) support you want to add to the digital “base”.
2. You can likely make more money in less time than you do now while continuing to offer a high level of service to clients.
Business goals are easier to meet and high client satisfaction ratings make new clients easier to enroll, please, and retain.
3. You get to spend more time with your family and friends.
Isn’t that the reason you work? To create freedom to enjoy the things that bring you joy?
As someone who has been delivering work through profitable online programs over the past four years, I can confidently say that this business model is life changing. For me and for my clients.
When you create great courses, programs, or membership communities – with high completion rates, high client satisfaction ratings, high retention rates, low refund requests, efficient structures, and a profitable model your business changes and your life changes. Making money is easier, clients are easier to find and enroll, and delivery is smooth and efficient which means that there’s less stress about work and more time to spend with loved ones.
My clients say so too.
“Your program changed my life” is a phrase that shows up in my inbox on a gleefully regular basis.
Kids being effortlessly sent to college, work feeling fun again, the feeling of fully going after that mission you know you’re here for.
So you can see why I get so frustrated when I see people whose work makes a difference in their clients’ lives procrastinate on this important mission.
Once people see the life-changing impact of this business model, the next question I often hear is: “Will this work for me?”
Here is what I see the most successful course creators have in common:
- A compelling vision for their life and business
- They’re subject matter experts on a desirable and marketable topic. Not sure what topic to choose? Grab our free profitable topic cheat sheet digital download
- They’re passionate about their topic and are on a mission to help more people. Nothing is going to stop them!
- They’re willing and able to have a beginner’s mindset. There are likely to be some learning curves here and having a sense of humor about it helps!
Do you resonate with any of these? If you do, I’m excited to see what kind of impact you’re able to create through your work!
So if you’re someone who has been wanting to launch a course, program, or membership site but has been procrastinating in the beginning or along the way, I’m excited to share with you one of my favorite tools to bust through that procrastination.
Why you’re procrastinating
After working with hundreds of course creators to help them create and sell their courses and programs, I can confidently say that the reason most don’t get started or start-stop for years is that they’re spinning in overwhelm and indecision.
There are so many questions that come up as you think about your course or program:
- Where do I start?
- What is the right type of program for me?
- What kind of learning goals should I establish?
- What online course platform should I use?
- How should I price my course?
- Should I offer individual or group coaching?
- How many modules should there be?
- What kind of learning experience do I want to provide?
- Should I offer video lessons? I have dozens of videos, can I repurpose them or do I need to start from scratch?
- What is the most effective method of delivery?
- What kind of marketing campaign will be the easiest and most profitable for me to do?
- How will I know if anyone will buy it?
- And on and on and on
Yep, there are many questions that need to be answered as part of the online course creation process.
And this is where many people get stuck. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Read on for one of my favorite exercises to create intention and clarity around your creation and bust that procrastination and overwhelm for good.
The way to breakthrough procrastination for good
To ditch procrastination for the last time, all you need is intention and clarity on why you’re creating this program. Specifically focusing on these two pieces:
1. What this program will do for you
2. What this program will do for your clients
Clarity on these areas will serve as the lighthouse for your decision-making as you go through the creation process.
Journaling exercise to create intention and clarity and bust through procrastination for good.
Grab your journal or a piece of paper, or open up a new tab in your computer if you prefer to type, and dive into these questions. Really drop in and feel into each one. Not only will it feel really good in the moment (and isn’t it all just about the current moment anyway?) but it will also help you create intention and clarity around what you want to create. This will enable you to make better decisions along the way.
Let’s start with you.
Once you have successfully launched your course or program…
How are your life and business different than it is today?
Are you less stressed and less exhausted because your business is more streamlined? Your only job is to create content and to show up to group and individual sessions to support your clients even deeper. You have automated and outsourced everything that doesn’t light you up.
Do you feel more freedom when you can work from anywhere in the world, so you pack up the family for a month-long getaway to a villa overlooking the Mediterranean?
Is there more joy because you have more raving-fan clients than you could ever help with your current business model?
Are you no longer pissing off your spouse because you no longer have to miss yet another event or work through another vacation?
- What does your life look like once you’re handsomely compensated for the value you bring to the world?
- What does your workday look like?How many hours are you working? I like to work four 5-hour days. How about you?
- How much cash do you have leftover every month after paying all of your bills? What do you want to do with it?
- How many clients are you working with? (Remember, the efficiency and automation of the online model mean that you can work with at least 4x the number of people you work with today!)
- What else is amazing?
This level of clarity will not only will it help you create a program that gets you closer to that vision, but it will also help you stay focused and motivated when those Messy Middle blues start getting to you.
Next, envision your clients’ lives after going through your course or program.
- What will be different for them, on the topic of your program?
- What else in their lives will be better?
- What’s available for them now that wasn’t before?
- How is their day-to-day life different?
- What stresses or worries are gone?
- What else?
This will allow you to create a course or program that helps your clients reach the intended result or outcome.
With this level of intention and clarity, creating an online program will be much simpler.
The lighthouse you created will be shining brightly, keeping you focused and on track to the program, business, and life of your dreams.
I hope this exercise helped you bust through some of that underlying procrastination and inspired you to move forward!
And if you’re someone who loves meeting their goals in the fastest, easiest, and most sure way, click here to see if our approach resonates for your particular needs. If yes, I’d love to chat with you! You can grab a time on my calendar via the button on the Work With Us page or by clicking here.
“”I had a full time private practice which I can now start to scale back so that I can focus on my coaching business more. I could only see one client at a time and only get paid for the hour I worked with that client. Now, I can expand and help more people at once and get compensated handsomely for it…it’s been streamline and empowering every step of the way.
“Her expertise and insights were incredibly helpful in making it a better course plus she gave me the confidence I need to launch and market it.“
“Overwhelm was an issue… but since I started working with you, things became clearer and I feel like I can move forward more confidently”
“I’ve been having so much fun – just exploding with new ideas and creativity. And am so thankful for the oversight that allows me to stay on track and do the right things.”
Meet the Author
Founder & CEO, Scale Your Genius
Jane Sagalovich, CFA is a business strategist and scaling mentor. As the founder of Scale Your Genius® she is on a mission to rid the world of Crappy Online Courses and to be a conduit of love, wisdom, and abundance.
Jane has helped hundreds of in-demand professionals create their profitable and results-driven online courses and programs with clarity, confidence, and ease.
As a result, they get to serve as big as they desire and make a lot more money without sacrificing family time or risking burnout.
With an M.B.A and a CFA under her belt, over 15 years in senior-level corporate roles, and 7 years as a business owner and entrepreneur, Jane brings broad and extensive expertise in all things business and strategy and is gifted in distilling it into effective and transformational client work using a powerful combination of logic, expertise, and intuition.
Originally from Ukraine, she now loves living out the American Dream in Colorado where she gets to play in the beautiful Rocky Mountains surrounded by family and friends… while scheming her next international adventure.